Sculptra (poly-L-lactic acid) works as a collagen stimulator, encouraging natural collagen production in treated areas to restore facial volume over time.
How Does Sculptra ® Work?
Sculptra is an FDA-approved injectable liquid used to increase volume and restore shape. It is made with a biocompatible, biodegradable material called poly-L-lactic acid, used for many years in absorbable sutures.
What Areas Does Sculptra ® Treat?
Sculptra® is perfect for filling in the hollows of the temples and volumizing cheeks. It can also give knees a little less sag and more definition, fill “hollow” spots on thighs or help disguise some problematic cellulite areas.
When Will I See Results?
Sculptra is not for patients who need instant gratification. But if you can be patient, the results are worth the wait. Ask any Sculptra patient or check out some before and after photos, and you’ll see for yourself. Because Sculptra stimulates your body to produce collagen, this process takes time. After Sculptra is injected, water mixed with the product absorbs over 1-2 days, and it appears that “nothing” was done. Then, as the Sculptra particles start stimulating collagen synthesis, improvement is usually seen after about six weeks. At this time, another injection session is made to build on the initial progress.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
A series of 2-3 visits are scheduled about 5-6 weeks apart, each reevaluating the need for additional Sculptra. Because it stimulates your collagen production, results occur gradually over 4-6 months. The great thing about Sculptra is how long it lasts- typically two years from the last injection. Since every person responds differently to treatment, the amounts needed will vary. It is injected deep within the skin, and unlike hyaluronic acid fillers, Sculptra stimulates the skin’s natural collagen production, volumizing gradually.
This appointment requires mixing your dose beforehand, and a booking fee of $800 is required when your work is scheduled. This will apply to the total amount of your final bill.
What Is the Downtime?
Technically, there’s no actual “downtime.” It’s an outpatient treatment that won’t take much more than an hour to perform. When finished, most patients feel they can continue their normal daily activities. Like H.A. fillers, you can experience some swelling at the injection sites that will generally subside in less than a week. Mild to moderate bruising is also common. Tenderness, itching, and redness are other common side effects.
Call our office at 704-282-9355 to set up an appointment!
**Not everyone is a candidate for Sculptra. People who have autoimmune problems should not seek treatment with Sculptra. Autoimmune problems include those who have multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and vasculitis.
FOR BEST RESULTS!
Pre Care Instructions
- Avoid using Aspirin, NSAIDs, Ginko Biloba, Garlic Supplements, Green Tea, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamins A and E, and essential fatty acids for up to 1-week pre and post-injection, as they will increase your risk of bruising.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before (or after) your treatment to avoid extra bruising
- You may take Arnica tablets 2-3 days prior to your injection to reduce the risk of bruising
- Do not apply products that are potentially irritating for 2 -3 days before and after treatment (examples- tretinoin/retin-a, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone)
- Inform your provider if you have a history of cold sores to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment
- Do not use the above-stated if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or are allergic to any of its ingredients. Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to the treatment
Post Care Instructions
- Ice (but avoid firm pressure) for 15 minutes 3 times the day of treatment
- You may take Acetaminophen/Tylenol if you experience any mild tenderness/discomfort
- Massage the areas 5 times a day, for 5 minutes each time, for 5 days after treatment. This is known as the 5-5-5 Rule!
- After treatment, there will be moderate swelling and redness with the possibility of bruising. These symptoms will resolve in about 7 days. You may apply or take Arnica tablets to help decrease the amount of bruising
- Avoid extended UV exposure until any redness/swelling has subsided. Apply SPF.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours to reduce bruising. You may resume other normal activities/routines immediately
- Avoid laser, IPL, or skin tightening treatments of the area for at least 2-3 weeks
- You may continue your topical products as mentioned above 1 week after the injection